The weekend coming up is not looking the best to be out climbing but if you are considering heading to the Grampians for either a chance at a climb or even for walking, take note of the following.
Parks Victoria Grampians Update
With the heavy rainfall we have received in the past few weeks and with the forecast rain predicted for the coming days, Parks Victoria would like to ask the local community and park visitors to exercise caution within the Grampians National Park this week.
- Creeks and waterways are at very high levels. This has caused washouts and high level creek crossings. Currently road closures are in place along Red Rock Road and Henham Track.
- Some walking tracks may have high level water crossings to navigate. If there are further heavy falls in a short space of time some narrow gorges may be impassable.
- The Northern Grampians Road has experienced some small rock falls from the road cutting. Vic Roads will be assessing risk this afternoon.
- Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water have informed us that they are increasing the water release from Lake Wartook to 200megalitres today. This is likely cause the base of Mackenzie Falls to be inundated as well as sections of the Mackenzie River walk towards Zumsteins.
- Emergency services will be pulling together response teams in preparedness for potential flooding in areas throughout the Wimmera.
With this in mind, Parks Victoria would ask all residents and visitors to be mindful of the need to travel within the Grampians over the coming days. Please keep safety in mind and only visit areas that are open and easily accessible. If you do not have an urgent need to visit the park please keep travel plans flexible.
We envisage there may be further road and walking closures throughout the coming days, particularly within the low lying areas of the park and recently fire affected areas such as the Northern Grampians and Black Range State Park. We will monitor conditions throughout today and tomorrow and notify you of any further closures and safety issues. We would encourage visitors to remain on the Sealed Road network and avoid the minor gravel road network through the Park. Please keep your travel plans flexible and stay updated with conditions through the Parks Victoria website or local Visitor Information Centres.