WHAT IS CLIFFCARE?
The Victorian Climbing Club was formed in 1952 and incorporated in 1985. The aim of the club is to promote the sport of climbing. The Victorian CliffCare Trust is administered by the club and in simple terms is the environmental arm of the club.
CliffCare takes the lead when it comes to taking care of the environment in which we climb. An important aspect of maintaining access.
Since 1998, we have employed Australias first professional Access and Environment Officer who works in three ways:
1. Education – promoting ‘low impact’ climbing
2. Advocacy – negotiating with land managers to maintain access and re-open popular cliffs
3. Protection – organizing work parties and raising money to preserve the cliff environment
Establishing a special Cliffcare Fund allows us to raise money to continue the valuable work we do preserving the cliff environment where you love to climb.
In short? It’s about taking responsibility and looking after the places we love. And love to climb at.
And the longer version….
The purposes of the Trust are to:
1. organise and promote practical activities which assist in the protection and the enhancement of the natural environment where this relates to the undertaking of climbing and allied activities; and
2. provide information and education programs designed to influence the behaviour of those who participate in climbing and allied activities in ways which promote the protection of the natural environment.
The Intent of Victorian CliffCare Trust:
The CliffCare Trust, works with and for the climbing community in:
Education – promoting ‘low impact’ climbing.
Advocacy – negotiating with land managers to maintain access.
Protection – organising work parties and raising money to preserve and rehabilitate the cliff environment.